From CISTI-ICIST LAB WIKI
Glen Newton is no longer at the NRC, as of April 6 2010.
Information retrieval, Semantic Web, scientific knowledge discovery, text mining, digital libraries, information visualization.
Also: distributed object technology, Open Source software, geographic information system (GIS), image processing, pattern recognition, biological systematics.
I have been involved in the following W3C NRC submissions:
- Web Rule Language (WRL) - 2005
- Semantic Web Services Framework (SWSF) - 2005
- Semantic Web Rule Language First-Order Logic (SWRL FOL) - 2005
- Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) Submission - 2004
- Newton, G. & A. Callahan & M. Dumontier. 2009. Semantic Journal Mapping for Search Visualization in a Large Scale Article Digital Library. Submitted to Second Workshop on Very Large Digital Libraries at the European Conference on Digital Libraries (ECDL) 2009.
- Newton, G. 2009. LuSql: (Quickly and easily) Getting your data from your DBMS into Lucene. code4lib 2009 Conference, Providence Rhode Island, Feb 23 - 26, 2009. Slideshare.
- Newton, G. 2008. Canadian Initiative To Develop a National Strategy. Managing and Preserving Scientific Data: Emerging Perspectives on a Global Basis. AAAS 2008 Feb 14-18, Boston MA.
- Newton, G. 2008. Open Source tools and case study. Next Generation Library Interfaces Conference. Denver, Colorado, March 14 2008.
CISTI Lab Projects
- Torngat Semantic Mapping of journal space
- LuSql - Lucene indexing of database records
- Catalog in CMS
- Zzzoot (blog). This is my personal, unofficial blog, which deals with a broad range of interests of mine, mostly research- and science- oriented.
- The Face of Venus: Planetary geology site for the planet Venus. This is a very old site.
- Newton, G. & A. Callahan & M. Dumontier. 2009. Semantic Journal Mapping for Search Visualization in a Large Scale Article Digital Library. Submitted to Second Workshop on Very Large Digital Libraries at the European Conference on Digital Libraries (ECDL) 2009. Preprint (PDF)
- Newton, G. & D. Deugo. 2007. Takaka: Eclipse Image Processing Plug-in. 2007 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition (ICPV07), Las Vegas, Nevada, June 25-28, 2007. Preprint (PDF)
- Zou, B. , X. Ma, B. Kemme, G. Newton & D. Precup. 2006. Data mining using Relational Database Management Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 3918, Jan 2006, Pages 657 - 667. Preprint (PDF).
- Behan–Pelletier, V. & G. Newton. 1999. Computers in Biology: Linking soil biodiversity and ecosystem function – The taxonomic dilemma. BioScience 49:149-153. Find via CISTI
- Siekierska, E., Williams, D. & G. Newton. 1999. Voorzien metadata in de behoeften van kartographen? CMIT als meta-informatiegereedschap voor electronicche atlassen (in Dutch) (Do metadata meet the requirements of cartographers? CMIT as a meta-information tool for electronic atlases). Kartografish Tijdschrift 1999-XXV-2:5-9. Find via CISTI
- Budkewitsch, P., Newton, G., & A. Hynes. 1994. Characterization and extraction of linear features from digital images. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing 20:268-279. Find via CISTI
- Lewis, J.E., Budkewitsch, P., Newton, G., Sayed,M. & R. Fredreking. 1994. Two-dimensional analysis of ice ridging in the Beaufort Sea using aerial photography. Annals of Glaciology 19:25-32. Find via CISTI
- Armenakis, C., Lapalme-Roy, L., Medaglia,R. & G. Newton. 1992. The Territorial Evolution of Canada: A Hypermedia Map. pp.321-325. In Proceedings: ICA National and Regional Atlases Commission Meeting.
- Newton, G. & B. Kendrick. 1993. Image processing in Fungal Taxonomy. pp. 403-412. In “Advances in Computer Methods for Systematic Biology: Artificial Intelligence, Databases,Computer Vision”. Ed. R. Fortuner, Johns Hopkins University Press. Find via CISTI
Abstracts, Reports, Conference Proceedings (non-refereed), Interviews
- Newton, G. 2007. Project Ungava. CNI Spring 2007 Task Force Meeting. April 16-17, Phoenix,Arizona.
- Newton, G. 2006. Web Mapping: Past, Present & Future. GeoTec 2006, June 18-21, Ottawa, ON.
- Newton, G. 2006. An Interview with the National Research Council of Canada's Glen Newton. EDUCAUSE. Jan 6 2006. PodCast
- Newton, G. 2005. National (Canada) Consultation on Access to Scientific Research Data. Coalition for Networked Information, Fall 2005 Task Force Meeting , December 5-6, 2005. Phoenix, AZ.
- Newton, G. & C. St. Jacques 2005. Digital Archives Research: Recommendations of the Digital Archives Research Framework Consultation of September 27th 2004, Ottawa ON: Final Report.
- Newton, G. & M. Fortin. 2005. Federated Searching in an Age of Web Services. Access 2005, Edmonton, Alberta. October 17-19. PodCast.
- Newton, G. & M. Fortin. 2005. Using Open Source and Open Standards to Extend Proprietary Systems. Internet Librarian International, 10-11 October London, UK.
- Newton, G. 2004. Distributed Authentication and Authorization for Digital Resources: A Snapshot of the State-of-the-Art. Invited speaker, Council of Federal Libraries Annual Fall Seminar Emerging Trends and Technologies - What do they mean for Libraries?, Sept 22, Ottawa, ON.
- Newton, G., Dearman, D. & C. Brown. 2003. Shibboleth at CISTI: Introducing, prototyping and extending. Access 2003: Extending Our Abilities Vancouver, B.C.
- Newton, G. 2002. The Feds and OSS. Access 2002: Delivering the Promise. Windsor, ON.
- Newton, G. 2001. A new look at data management. Annual Convention of the Canadian Psychological Association. Ste-Foy, QC. Canadian Psychology 42:2a:126.
- Newton, G. 2001. Duluth: A Virtual Library Portal Management System. Access 2001. Winnipeg, MB.
- Newton, G. 2000. Duluth: An Information Management Tool. 17th International CODATA Conference, October 15-19 2000 Baveno, Italy.
- Newton, G., Mellon, S. & G. Wood. 2000. Duluth: An Ontological Data Management System. The Second National Conference on Scientific and Technical Data: Data for Science and Society. March 13-14, Washington, DC.
- Siekierska, E., Williams, D. & G. Newton. 1999. Metadata: does it serve the need of cartographer? CMIP: a Metainformation Tool for Electronic Atlases. Proceedings of the Seminar on Electronic Atlases and National Atlas Information Systems in the Information Age, held at the University of Iceland (Reykjavik) pp 65-69.
- Newton, G., Behan-Pelletier, V., & J. Klironomos. 1998. Database of Ecological Research Projects. In Ecological Society of America 83rd Annual Meeting. Baltimore. pp. 100. Abstract.
- Behan-Pelletier, V. M., & G. Newton. 1997. Mites as Models: linking biodiversity and ecosystem function in soil. pp. A4. 1997 AAAS Annual Meeting and Science Innovation Exposition.
- Newton, G. 1997. CORBA and Java. Agriculture Canada 1997 CS Symposium: Year 2000 and Beyond. May 13-15 Cornwall, ON.
- Newton, G., & V. Behan-Pelletier. 1997. The Soil Ecology Research Network: A database of soil ecology research. pp. 47. In Blair, J. (Ed.) Soil ecology: understanding and preserving soil systems.
- Newton, G., & V. Behan-Pelletier. 1997. The BLADE Project: a networked environment for distributed collaborative ecological research. pp. 48-49. In The Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network, 3rd National Science Meeting, Saskatoon.
- Newton G. & P. Budkewitsch. 1997. Tori: Web-based Analysis and Visualization of Time-Series Remote Sensing Imagery. International Symposium, Geomatics in the Era of RADARSAT Ottawa, Canada. May 25-30. paper #235.
- Newton, G., Williams, D., & E. Siekierska. 1997. The Design and Implementation of NAISMap2: A consultative process. ICC 97: 18th ICA/ACI International Cartographic Conference. June 23-27, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Newton, G. 1996. GMap: Thematic Mapping on the Web. Geomatics 96. May 20, Ottawa, ON.
- Newton, G. 1996. Environmental Mapping on the World Wide Web. Great Lakes Information Network Conference. April 9-10, Lansing, Michigan.
- Newton, G. & P. Budkewitsch. 1996. Database Access and Interactive Mapping Applications on the Web. Geomatics 96. May 20, Ottawa, ON.
- Newton, G. 1995. NAISMap: The WEB-Based Geographic Information System. GovNet 95: Networking. June 20-22, Ottawa, ON.
- Taylor, I. & G. Newton 1994. The National Atlas of Canada and Geographic Information in the Age of Internet. Toward The Third Millenium: The Role of the U.S. in the New North America. Carleton University, Ottawa, ON.
- Newton, G. & P. Budkewitsch. 1993. Edge extraction from LANDSAT imagery: Towards automated lineament extraction for geological analysis. In Proceedings of the Geological/Minerological Associations of Canada (GAC/MAC) Joint Conference. 17-19 May, Edmonton, AB.
- Budkewitsch, P., Hynes, A. & G. Newton. 1993. Archean basement control of Proterozoic faulting in the foreland of the Trans-Hidon Orogen. In Proceedings of the Geological/Minerological Associations of Canada (GAC/MAC) Joint Conference. 17-19 May, Edmonton, AB.
- Budkewitsch, P. & G. Newton. 1989. Lithotectonic domain characterization of SPOT images using statistical lineament analysis and image enhancement algorithms by microcomputer. pp. A-27. In Proceedings of the Geological/Minerological Associations of Canada (GAC/MAC) Joint Annual Meeting, 15-17 May, Montreal, QC.
- Newton, G. & P. Budkewitsch. 1989. Lithotectonic domain identification by statistical analysis of visually and computer-extracted lineaments: a case study from the Cape Smith Belt, New Quebec. pp.861-875. In ERIM Proceedings of the 7th Thematic Conference on Remote Sensing for Exploration Geology.